For the second year in a row, the Bankers Box team at Fellowes wanted to run a digital advertising buy leading up to the Tax Time season. While the previous year we had created separate ads for each of their identified key industries and consumers, Fellowes considered the possibility of creating an overarching campaign that would lend cohesion to this year’s push, while still speaking to each individual audience.
Inspired by the brand’s “Organization Made Easy” tagline and the versatility of the product across all kinds of businesses, we developed a motion graphics video that featured these boxes being used in a variety of different environments. The hope was to convey that Bankers Box is an ally for any company’s record storage needs. We created a campaign that was fresh and own-able for the brand, using a 3D animation style to make the video feel like it had depth and movement.
When it comes to digital media planning, the goal is frequency, not redundancy. You want your ads to show up in a variety of ways (on mobile/tablet, news sites, pre-roll video, etc), but you don’t want to be annoying. A media mix ensures that your campaign is seen enough times by the right people, without being a pest.
For the Bankers Box Ad Campaign, we felt that video would best communicate the brand’s versatility. However, we also knew that static ads were necessary in order to be seen across a broader variety of sites and placements. We created a number of ads (generic and specific) that would accompany the video push. This led us to pursue a number of media channels, from social media to programmatic audience targeting (which is essentially using data to build a target segment to reach specific audiences at mass scale) to mobile-specific channels.
At the end of this year’s Tax Time campaign, we were able to deliver over 7 million impressions and more than 31,000 clicks!
The last few weeks of the campaign saw an overall increase in performance. Our top two tactics delivered lower CPC in the final few weeks of the campaign driving an overall eCPC of $1.71 for the final couple weeks.
Compared to last year’s Tax Time campaign, this year was a great success. The campaign delivered a higher clickthrough rate this year (0.29% in 2014/2015 to 0.45% for the current campaign) and a lower eCPC than the previous year. This year’s campaign delivered more clicks than last year by 12%.
Overall, the Bankers Box team felt that the campaign really helped them show their customers thought leadership in how to approach digital marketing and what works – which has allowed them to become more savvy/informed. And because the brand is so well-recognized to the general population, this campaign was a great opportunity to present a new, fresh perspective on a very beloved box.
Need a glossary for terms?
- Frequency: The number of times an ad is served to the same consumer during a specific time period.
- Ad Impressions: The number of times an ad has been served, regardless of whether the user has actually seen or interacted with the ad in any way.
- Cost per Click (CPC): How much an advertiser pays, on average, for each ad click.
- Clickthrough Rate (CTR): Expressed as a percentage of total impressions, this statistic shows how often people who are served an ad end up clicking on it.
- Reach: The total number of people who see your message.
- Ad Targeting: Delivering ads to a pre-selected audience based on various attributes, such as geography, demographics, psychographics, web browsing behavior and past purchases.